Application and Platform Services Manager
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 2,000 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Application and Platform Services Manager in our corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT within the Information Technology Unit. The ideal candidate has prior working experience in application support and has moved on to managing similar resources. This candidate also needs to demonstrate a high aptitude for learning new software and work processes, be focused in execution and comfortable performing tasks with minimal oversight and be a self-starter with excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills.
- Manage application and architecture personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Ability to dive deeply into operational, technical or architectural issues based on the problem presented.
- Ability to support multiple lines of businesses or applications of medium to highly complex technologies at global level with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility.
- Provide safe environment for staff to explore and promote ideas and validate ideas with proof of concepts, which may require strong justification or ROI analysis and risk analysis.
- Define and enhance methodologies and practices for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Ensure application life cycle management status reporting, metrics and benchmarks are delivered with efficiency and accuracy.
- Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization and ensure day-to-day delivery and operations are efficient and timely.
- Working with stakeholders to accomplish application work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
- Understand the operations budget, licensing and contracts to identify opportunities for short and long term efficiencies with cost reductions.
- Resolve or escalate capacity, prioritization and business escalation issues in a clear, optimized and transparent way.
- Demonstrated ability to route work tasks and projects to team members given a very tight capacity environment by re-prioritize work or enhancing team organizational structure when necessary.
- Work with Technical Services Manager to develop overall IT strategy and roadmap in the context of the business strategy and facilitate the governance and use of enterprise architecture principles, guidance and reference architectures.
- Promote synergies between architecture and support staff and processes, especially ensuring projects always keep support organization in mind.
- 10 years work experience, including past experience in application support and/or operations with vast and recent experience as a technical lead and manager.
- BA/BS Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems or general engineering.
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
- Highly focused task execution and decision maker, with ability to understand business and technical implications.
- Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Insurance/Reinsurance experience preferred.
- Experience in SAP and/or home grown application support preferred
- TOGAF certified.
- Good understanding technical concepts such as programming (.NET, Java, ABAP, SQL) and Service Oriented Architecture.
- Experience with Robotics Process Automation (RPA).