Business Machine Learning Specialist
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,500 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Business Machine Learning Specialist in our corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT. We are seeking an individual with considerable experience working with complex data sets and machine learning algorithms leveraging data on disparate platforms, including Hadoop, to create convincing arguments for its business impact. The ideal candidate will be a team player with prior experience of being an extremely pragmatic (re)insurance data asset evangelist.
The Business Machine Learning Specialist will elevate their machine learning science skills to the new height of business value translation in support of Gen Re Property and Casualty business objectives. As a member of the Data and Business Analytics team, the Business Machine Learning Specialist will at times sacrifice their urge to innovate, in the interest of business value creation and adoption of the insights drawn using simpler techniques. On the other hand, they will demonstrate that they can always push the envelope of applied techniques when needed. She/he would exemplify conviction that advanced techniques can be made useful if one sticks to their belief in their ability to build and communicate actionably.
- Being a change agent - continue to be on the leading edge of Machine Learning analytical capabilities outside of Gen Re - building such capabilities within the organization.
- The Business Machine Learning Specialist will develop the analytical solutions to address the opportunities - by partnering with business and technology to achieve the right impact.
- She/He will demonstrate keen empathy towards business usage of data and be creative in unlocking the information that may be buried at times deep within.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in (Re)Insurance business.
- Ability to manage multiple active initiatives proceeding in parallel.
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience in Machine Learning algorithms using open source scripting language across different machine learning platforms.
- Proven ability to understand massive disparate data sets and transform the information into clear insights for the business.
- Strong communication and influencing skills to effectively translate complex analytical models into clear, succinct recommendations to stakeholders.
- Strong desire to develop the knowledge and understanding of the (Re)Insurance industry.
- Driven by the desire to seek answers to "so what?" business questions than being enamored by "what’s new?"
- Excellent listening, verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Ability to quickly assimilate relevant information in unfamiliar situations.
- Ability to develop creative approaches and solutions necessary to resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability to source data across a variety of structured and unstructured data sources, including Hadoop.
- Demonstrated ability to work under time constraints while delivering incremental value.
- Producing high quality work for business presentations and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Excellent business acumen and sound judgment.