Casualty Facultative Underwriter
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 2,000 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for an Underwriter in our Atlanta office within the Casualty Facultative business unit.
- Underwriting Analysis - The Cas Fac Underwriter provides an intermediate level of underwriting analysis for client and internal teams. Evaluates moderately complex risks and exposures requiring thoughtful approaches. Demonstrates sound underwriting skills, and is adept in the application of rates, forms, pricing structures, terms and conditions. The Underwriter is expected to have a solid understanding of the cause-effect relationship of decisions and their impact on the business, and to operate comfortably in a team environment where multi-headed risk reviews and analyses are routine.
- Relationship Building - The Cas Fac Underwriter concentrates on developing client relationships. Brings an array of alternatives, options, and solutions to clients. Identifies alternative approaches and is comfortable connecting with and influencing clients at the management level. With minimal managerial oversight, and in conjunction with other underwriters, the Underwriter begins to seek solutions and to take responsibility for client decisions.
- Learning/developing - The Underwriter takes an active role in increasing his/her knowledge of policies, principles, processes, procedures, and various lines of business. Attends and participates in all intermediate Gen Re Cas Fac underwriting/technical seminars as well as outside industry-related courses.
- Related Activities - The Underwriter coordinates and participates in various support activities and special projects for the branch, including conducting advanced research and working on components of larger projects and analysis.
- 3 – 5 years minimum experience in underwriting; reinsurance experience preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal skills/critical thinking skills.
- Capacity to work in a team environment.
- Organizational ability and attention to detail.
- High degree of energy/tenacity.
- College degree; GPA 3.0 min.