General Re, a leading global reinsurer and a member of the Berkshire Hathaway Inc., family of companies, has an opportunity in its General Star Management Company subsidiary. General Star underwrites specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGA’s) in the U.S.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Casualty Underwriter in our office located in Los Angeles, CA.
The Underwriter performs a wide array of underwriting and marketing functions, demonstrating knowledge and competence in both client relationship management and technical underwriting skills. Underwriting functions include analyzing and evaluating complex risks and exposures, and applying a working knowledge of rates, forms, pricing structures, terms and conditions in primary and excess casualty lines. The Underwriter acts in collaboration with a team of professionals within the branch and corporately, leveraging the company’s resources to provide a best in class response to our valued clients.
- Underwriting Analysis – The Underwriter researches and analyzes complex risks and exposures, using critical thinking skills in applying the tools and resources available to structure competitive and sound proposals. Each underwriter contributes to our team, where discussion of account opportunities and sharing of knowledge is part of our daily routine, and manages a flow of individual risk submissions where speed of response is valued by clients. The Underwriter is adept in the application of rates, forms, pricing structures, terms and conditions, and recognizes the direct impact each decision has on developing a profitable book business.
- Relationship Building – The Underwriter also concentrates on advancing existing client relationships as well as identifying new prospects throughout our territory in the western US. Seeking to bring a creative array of alternatives, options, and solutions to clients, he/she is comfortable connecting with and influencing clients at the management level. In conjunction with the other underwriters and with the Unit Manager’s support, the Underwriter develops strategies to broaden their opportunities through crafting sound client management plans.
- Learning / Development – The Underwriter takes an active role in increasing his/her knowledge of industry policies, principles, and newly emerging exposures by attending and actively participating in all Company underwriting/technical seminars as well as outside industry-related courses (CPCU, ASLI).
- Related Activities – The Underwriter seeks opportunities to lead or support underwriting and marketing activities / projects for the LA Branch and/or Casualty Division, including developing new products, training new underwriters and working on special client entertainment or educational events.
- Minimum of three years commercial insurance industry experience, five or more years preferred.
- Undergraduate college degree.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong client relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning.
- Well-developed industry knowledge.
- Enthusiastic team player / self-starter