General Re, a leading global reinsurer and a member of the Berkshire Hathaway Inc., family of companies, has an opportunity in its General Star Management Company subsidiary. General Star underwrites specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGA’s) in the U.S.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Casualty Underwriter in our office located in New York, NY.
- Underwriting Analysis – The Underwriter provides an advanced level of underwriting analysis for client and internal teams. Evaluates complex risks and exposures requiring thoughtful approaches. The Underwriter is expected to have a solid understanding of the cause-effect relationship of decisions and their impact on the business, and to operate comfortably in a team environment where multi-headed risk reviews and analyses are routine. Knowledge of the NYC construction insurance marketplace is a plus.
- Relationship Building – The Underwriter concentrates on developing client relationships. Brings an array of alternatives, options, and solutions to clients. With some managerial oversight, and in conjunction with other underwriters, the Underwriter seeks solutions and to take responsibility for client decisions.
- Learning / Developing – The Underwriter takes an active role in increasing his/her knowledge of the business, policies, principles, processes, procedures, and various lines of business. Attends and participates in all company underwriting/technical seminars as well as outside industry-related courses.
- Related Activities – The Underwriter coordinates and participates in various support activities and special projects for the branch, including conducting research and working on components of larger projects and analysis.
- 5-7 years of insurance experience
- College degree
- Knowledge of underwriting and underwriting concepts
- High level of self-accountability
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Interpersonal skills/ critical thinking skills
- Capacity to work in a team environment
- Organizational ability and attention to detail
- High degree of energy / tenacity
- Demonstrated ability to interact with clients