Chief Actuary - Senior Vice President
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,900 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Re Life Corporation (GRL), a Berkshire Hathaway Company, is seeking a Chief Actuary, Senior Vice President. This position is located in our Stamford, CT corporate headquarters.
This position is responsible for Pricing and Valuation for General Re Life Corporation. This position will report to the President and CEO of General Re Life Corporation and be a member of the Gen Re Life Corporation Executive Management Team. There will be significant interaction with the Senior Management Team of Gen Re Corporation. This position will ensure all pricing objectives and opportunities pursued by General Re Life are consistent with its stated risk appetite, profitability growth goals and strategic direction. This position will be responsible for ensuring the financial integrity of General Re Life Corporation and communicating the drivers of our financial results to the Senior Management of General Re Life and Gen Re Corporation.
The top objectives of this position are:
- Risk Management
- People Management
Specific Responsibilities of the Position Include:
- Support profitable growth by ensuring pricing metrics and targets for each line of business are appropriate for the risk assumed and consistent with the objectives of Gen Re.
- Partner with the CEO to analyze various business opportunities to determine their potential short term and long-term impacts to
- Act as a sounding board and peer review for CEO and Chief Pricing actuaries.
- Monitor the profitability of Gen Re Life’s business through a formal review process, using appropriate reports and tools to analyze trends and results. Understand all the dynamics which impact on the profitability of the business and ensure that problems are discovered early.
- Advise other members of senior management and the General Re Life Board on the sound financial management of Gen Re Life, including financial and insurance risk and capital adequacy management, and liability best estimate assumptions and measurement.
- Provide leadership and consultative advice to the worldwide life and health valuation actuaries at Gen Re, especially in regards to the adoption of Principle Based Reserves (PBR).
- Build a mortality research capability that is among the best in the industry allowing Gen Re to analyze our own mortality experience, and experience available through other sources, to help secure treaties with better than expected mortality.
- Lead and manage the Actuarial Team by providing direction, training and support to ensure they experience professional growth and have good career paths at Gen Re Life.
- Partner with the Gen Re Life Executive Management Team to develop and implement various strategies to profitably grow our business.
- Maintain visibility in the market by meeting with clients and prospects, participating at industry meetings and by joining pertinent industry committees.
- FSA with 15 years of broad pricing and valuation experience, someone with at least 10 years of in-depth knowledge of U.S. life insurance or reinsurance is preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management.
- Ability to provide strategic insight and recommendations.
- Proficient experience with GAAP and Statutory accounting standards.
- Experience leading and developing a team of actuaries.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.