General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for an Enterprise Architect in our Stamford, CT office.
The Enterprise Architect is the senior level position and is responsible for ensuring the respective business, application, data and technology perspectives are in line with Gen Re’s standards and strategic direction. Reporting to the Chief Architect and CTO, the Enterprise Architect applies advanced IT architecture concepts and governance techniques to function as the lead architect on new business projects. The Enterprise Architect will create and maintain IT architecture models and their lower level components. The individual is also required to interact to interface with multiple IT teams and Business users. The right candidate will provide the architectural and governance leadership from initial business idea through approvals and implementation.
- Support the strategic development of the Enterprise Architecture functional areas and support the Enterprise Architecture organizational goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
- Ensures the Enterprise Architecture standards are meeting all objectives pertaining to quality, compliance, regulations, productivity, customer service, budget, and project management.
- Ensures Enterprise Architecture operational plans are aligned to Gen Re’s overall business plans and specific strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Supports the development and maintenance of systems architecture, defining standards and protocols for data exchange, communications, software, and interconnection of company information systems.
- Leads the development of current-state and target-state reference architectures across the Business, Application, Information & Technical architecture domains; ensures their linkage to strategic business outcomes
- Creates business/technology alignment by defining area-specific strategic roadmaps which facilitate transition from current-state to target-state.
- Provides thought leadership and consulting as requested, focusing on areas which provide significant opportunities for optimization of the technology environment.
- Collaborates and consults with the Senior Leadership Team to develop and maintain clear views of gaps in IT strategy, articulate and assess those gaps develops options
- Partners with Application Development leads to manage a broadly federated architecture program.
- Supports a practical architectural governance function to align projects with common conventions and standards, thereby promoting asset and service reuse and maximizing IT effectiveness.
- Ensures and provides appropriate dispositions on requests for exceptions to the architectural direction, within a framework balancing cost, risk, quality, and speed.
- Communicates effectively the vision and value proposition to business and technology constituents.
- Advises senior leadership on Enterprise Architecture technology best-practices, trends and opportunities to enable innovation, operational efficiency and strategic agility.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in IT
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in Solution and Enterprise Architecture
- TOGAF certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively with end-users, business owners, developers, systems engineers and various levels of management.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to consolidate data to provide easily understandable deliverables.
- Service Management oriented with strong commitment to customer service.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to accomplish aggressive project goals when necessary.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, dynamic environment and developing flexible solutions to meet evolving business requirements.
- Strong analytical and technical skills focusing on the areas of Microsoft and SAP with an in-depth understanding of architecture including data, applications and technology.
- Experience with cloud computing and dev/ops.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver detailed technical documentation.