General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,500 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Finance Manager in our corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT.
The position is for a Manager of Financial Accounting preferably with public accounting experience. This position will manage and assist in the financial consolidation process, financial statement analysis for the consolidated group, U.S. GAAP and management reporting, rating agency modeling, manages the financial accounting close requirements and researches and analyzes FASB, U.S. GAAP and IFRS accounting standards and updates. The position will also be required to explore ways to reengineer and/or harmonize the consolidation work flow through software and technology enhancements as well as act in a training and support role to subsidiary’s Management and Accounting staff.
- Manage the U.S. GAAP Global Consolidation Reporting and Analysis team.
- Analyze variances in consolidated U.S. GAAP Financial Statements and technical accounts and provide updates to Executive staff.
- Provide Executive staff with financial information for board and various presentations.
- Manage the quarterly close processes, rating agency requests and the Consolidation Unit through the following activities:
- The quarterly preparation and analysis of management view, Berkshire view and U.S. GAAP financial statements including gathering and reviewing financial information from subsidiaries, business units and service units and preparation of supporting work-papers.
- Review the monthly accounting close including journal entry preparation and review, account reconciliations, GL uploads, preparation of monthly reports and SOX compliance.
- Continue to create a streamlining workflow and IT process improvement projects including being an agent for leveraging technology globally.
- Ad hoc financial analysis
- Ability to impact and influence others.
- Expertise with Excel and Office Suite products (Word, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Strong communication and organization skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize accordingly and to perform under tight reporting deadlines.
- Expert-level analytical skills to get to the core of problems and develop real solutions.
- Ability to see the bigger picture patterns/trends and anticipate/influence outcomes.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills.
- Excellent organizational and self-management skills.
- Ability to create and implement novel solutions to complex business problems.
- B.S. degree in accounting or finance.
- Minimum 7-10 years work experience (three or more years in Public Accounting).
- Reinsurance / Insurance / Financial Services experience is a plus.