General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently offers a permanent position opportunity for an Non-Life Financial Accountant in our Johannesburg office.
This position will provide financial accounting for the Non-Life business. The role is based in our Johannesburg office and will report to the Financial Controller in the UK, with a dotted line into the Finance Manager in Cape Town for regulatory and statutory purposes.
- Non-life debtors
- Preparation of monthly reconciliations
- Distribution of monthly statements
- Follow-up payment remittances and outstanding debt
- Booking and clearing incoming deposits
- Preparation of quarterly debtors aging and reporting
- Preparation of claim payments and bookings
- Attend to and resolve client queries
- Processing of premiums and claims
- Non-life reporting
- Reconciliation of non-life valuation line items
- Completion of non-life valuation template
- Quarterly USGAAP reporting
- Regulatory reporting to Prudential Authority or any other regulatory body
- Provide input and ideas for the improvement of team processes, with the focus on automating these as far as possible. Stream lining processes to ensure efficiencies are being made in the team whilst providing high quality and consistent service to all clients.
- Ad hoc tasks and reporting as required from time to time
- University degree or diploma in Finance – Accounting
- Preference will be given to candidates with an affiliation to a professional body e.g. SAIPA
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the area of Financial Accounting
- Insurance industry experience would be advantageous
- Advanced Excel Skills
- SAP experience would be advantageous
- Knowledge and understanding of administration and financial processes
- Technically strong in IT and related aspects
- Strong on process efficiencies
- Ability to work in a methodical and systematic way
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team, deal with people at all levels and in all areas of the business and engage with clients
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritize, while remaining flexible to deal with changing work demands
- Excellent organisational skills combined with a high level of attention to detail
- Willingness to travel to Cape Town for at least 2 weeks at quarter ends
Does this sound exciting?
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act and in line with our employment equity policy. Please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations.
Closing date: 27 September 2019