Individual Life Valuation Actuary
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 2,000 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Re Life Corporation (GRL), a Berkshire Hathaway Company, is seeking an Individual Life Valuation Actuary. This position is located in our corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT.
Risk Management and Modeling
- Support financial reporting for Individual Life business.
- Develop, implement, and manage actuarial models and analysis tools.
- Assist in the development of actuarial assumptions using experience studies.
- Produce quarterly reports for senior management review.
- Monitor the profitability of business through a formal review process, using appropriate reports and tools to analyze trends and results.
- Understand all dynamics which impact on the profitability of the business and ensure that problems are discovered early.
- Work with internal and external customers to develop win-win reinsurance solutions to complex business problems.
- Willingness to work independently on large scale projects while prioritizing financial reporting deliverables.
- Capable of working with small group of business experts from varying disciplines (accounting, claims, underwriting, marketing).
- FSA or near-FSA with a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- Prior actuarial experience in valuation of Individual Life products for either a reinsurer or direct writer.
- Familiarity with US statutory and US GAAP accounting for Individual Life products.
- Strong technology skills including Microsoft Access and Excel (including VBA), SQL or R is also preferred.
- Experience with GGY-AXIS actuarial modeling software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management.