Junior Risk/Data Analyst
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,500 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently offers a opportunity for a Junior Risk/Data Analyst in our Cape Town office.
The small, high performing Business Insight Team within General Reinsurance Africa has the mandate to provide in-depth financial and risk analytics in order to steer business activities optimally. This position is pivotal in providing reports and analysis on a variety of topics for both internal and external use, and has responsibility for risk and compliance. It is important that a blend of quantitative and qualitative risk management skills to support the Chief Risk Officer in co-ordinating and embedding the risk management activities within General Reinsurance Africa is evident.
The main purpose of the job is to assist the Chief Risk Officer/Head of Business Insight in the development and servicing of data, business reports, automation, Risk Management and Statutory Reporting and the internal control framework. This position will provide exposure to the broad range of tasks, including:
Analysis of Data
- Strengthen the quality of data through de-duplication, data cleansing, hierarchy management, and data conversion.
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize efficiency and quality
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends/patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
Business Reports Development
- Combine data from multiple sources (including databases, internal and external APIs, and files) into tabular models for consumption in BI reports and dashboards using Excel, SQL, Access and Power Pivot.
- Interpret data, analyze results and provide ongoing reports
- Generate reports accurately, consistently and timeously to fully deliver into the operational need
- Ability to build new models
- Develop solutions and/or tools for various teams within the organisation
- Analyse current state processes and identify opportunities for improvement and automation
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Develop a working knowledge of current automation technologies
- Coordinate and prioritize project tasks, manages timelines, maintains project plans and communicate status to clients, project sponsors and senior management
- Drives automation opportunity identification, assessment, and prioritization within supported functions
- Partner with internal & external stakeholders to identify automation opportunities by analyzing processes and assessing feasibility for automation
- Ensures business case meets critical intake criteria including financial analysis
Internal Control Framework
- Ensure strategies, policies, and processes in the risk management system are in place, being observed, and attaining their intended outcomes.
- Development of a framework that will document existing internal controls.
Risk Management and Statutory Reporting
- Support the implementation of processes and policies to assess and/or monitor the effectiveness of risk governance frameworks
- Assist in the performance of business partner due diligence assessments
- Investigate internal control issues
- Assist in the application of effective risk mitigation and control measures to specific risks, identify and remediate control deficiencies
- Support the development of holistic risk governance and control structures supporting regulatory report production.
- Challenge with the goal of identifying control issues
- University degree, in Finance or other relevant discipline
- Significant risk management experience
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in a similar function
- Strong Analytical skills
- A proven aptitude for analysis of data and problem solving
- Experience decomposing business insight challenges, and structuring, delivering and owning data solutions.
- Excellent IT skills, desktop/spreadsheet/database skills
- Self-motivated and comfortable working with large amounts of data
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel , SQL etc)
- Extremely Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications, Excel, PowerPivot, Word, Visio.
Additional relevant information
This is a multi-faceted role, the role reports to multiple stakeholders throughout a project lifecycle. The analyst needs to be flexible with the ability to switch “hats” seamlessly. This is a position in a fast-paced environment; meeting deadlines does require perseverance.
Close liaison required with the Account Management, Finance, Claims, Actuarial Teams and Underwriting Teams.
Does this sound exciting?
If you are interested in this position, please sumit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.