Life Actuary: Product Development and Pricing
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 2,000 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) is looking for a recently qualified actuary in the Technical Actuarial team in our Cape Town office. The position will report to the Chief Actuary.
This is a challenging and rewarding role involving multiple work areas for Gen Re internally, internationally as well as for our clients:
- Preparing quotations for new business and reviews of existing business for both Group and Individual Life business.
- Support of analysis and assessment of life and health reinsurance portfolios for the purposes of risk management, experience study, planning and quotation.
- Developing new products and assisting clients with revisions to existing products.
- Monitoring and provision of management information statistics.
- Undertaking focussed research, which will generate competitive advantage through superior understanding of risk.
- Creating an image of the company as a thought leader through client meetings, articles and presentations.
- Maintaining the Company’s pricing guidelines, pricing tools and treaty wording standards.
- Drafting contracts.
- Qualified Actuary with at least 5 years’ life insurance pricing experience.
- The ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of people, both internally and externally.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work in a methodical manner with good analytical skills.
- Able to work under pressure in meeting internal and external deadlines.
- Strong problem solving skills, particularly when in new situations or dealing with clients.
- Consistent pursuit of excellence in execution and delivery.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills.
- Excellent IT skills (MS Office, SQL Server, Working with large datasets).
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
We offer performance-based remuneration package.