Property Facultative Underwriter – Chicago
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re is currently offering an excellent opportunity for a Property Facultative Underwriter in our Chicago office for the Mid-West Region.
- Underwriting shared and layered and complex property deals from various Multinational, Regional and Specialty clients.
- Understand standard risk coverages, policy forms, terms and conditions.
- Ability to learn various property lines of business (complex property, inland marine, boiler and machinery, homeowners, etc.)
- Understand and use the various underwriting tools, utilizing technical referrals for calculating accurate technical premiums as appropriate.
- Provide concise and clear documentation, effectively highlighting the underwriting thought process.
- Ability to assess risk hazards and exposure, understanding the relationship between the Company risk appetites in relation to these.
- Develop and maintain client relationships and learn marketing behaviors by participating in branch client planning and visits.
- Collaborate jointly with program and treaty departments to provide an inclusive product solution directly for Gen Re as an organization.
- Understanding the differences between client markets and segmentations (E&S, specialty, middle market, large accounts, etc.)
- Analyze market pricing, current trends in terms and conditions, and implementation of value for value concepts.
- Meet established client service goals.
- Understand and follow corporate and departmental philosophies, rules and guidelines.
- Continuously and proactively improve skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrate efficiencies in work flow and time management.
- 3–5 years minimum industry experience in underwriting (reinsurance experience preferred).
- Marketing and travel: 30–50% (Mid-West)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal skills and critical thinking skills.
- Capacity to work in a team environment.
- Organizational ability and attention to detail.