Property Facultative Underwriter
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,900 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for Property Facultative reinsurance Property Facultative Underwriter in our Toronto, Canada office.
Gen Re provides Underwriter Trainees with a high level of authority, productivity and empowerment early in their career. Initially, training is provided with an intensive 8 week training program called “Jump School.” Our Gen Re mentoring program also provides Underwriter Trainees the opportunity to manage a book of business early in their careers.
The following are position accountabilities:
- Understand standard risk coverages, policy forms, terms and conditions.
- Be able to identify and seek appropriate assistance with non-standard risk coverages, policy forms, and terms and conditions.
- Understand and use the various underwriting tools, utilizing technical referrals for calculating accurate technical premiums as appropriate.
- Provide concise and clear documentation, effectively highlighting the underwriting thought process.
- Ability to assess risk hazards and exposure, understanding the relationship between the Company risk appetites in relation to these.
- Develop client relationships and learn marketing behaviors by participating in branch client planning and visits.
- Understanding the differences between client markets and segmentations (E&S, specialty, middle market, large accounts, etc.
- Understand market pricing, current trends in terms and conditions, and implementation of value for value concepts.
- Ability to participate in joint marketing efforts or be able to direct client needs to the appropriate resource.
- Meet established client service goals.
- Understand and follow corporate and departmental philosophies, rules and guidelines.
- Continuously and proactively improve skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrate efficiencies in work flow and time management.
- 3 – 5 years minimum industry experience in underwriting.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interpersonal skills and critical thinking skills.
- Capacity to work in a team environment.
- Organizational ability and attention to detail.
- University/College degree
- CIP designation preferred
- Bilingual (French) preferred.