Senior Underwriter - Medicare Supplement
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re Life currently offers an excellent opportunity for an Assistant VP, Senior Underwriter for the Medicare Supplement Insurance underwriting team. This position can be in either our corporate headquarters located in Stamford, CT or Portland, ME.
The Senior Underwriter will perform a range of underwriting related functions commensurate with their experience, training and skills, in support of the business generated by our Medicare Supplement reinsurance clients. The Senior Underwriter will assist internal stakeholders and external clients and third-party administrators with quality risk selection, efficiency of operations, consistency of case decisions, expense management and favorable time service with the goal of achieving morbidity, sales and profitability goals within our business plan objectives.
Major responsibilities include:
- Review underwriting programs operating at client companies and third- party administrators to include: underwriting guidelines, application forms, and sources of underwriting information. Make recommendations for improvements and adoption of best practices.
- Optimize utilization of traditional underwriting information - prescription history reports, telephone interviews, and MIB.
- Client Contact and Industry Trends: Interact with clients, expanding our knowledge of what our client needs are, and competitor services being offered. Become expert in client company procedures, requirements and service needs. Provide client support and assistance within their specifications and guidelines. Strive to be a problem solver and advise management of potential problems or issues.
- Review and adjust underwriting rules engines which are delivering automated underwriting decisions.
- Perform underwriting file audits for due diligence and to identify opportunities for better results.
- Support marketing process for new client prospects, including review and editing of presentations, and performing due diligence analysis prior to the signing of a reinsurance treaty.
- Support market or underwriting research projects.
- Facilitate the Medigap Underwriting Study Group, an informal industry membership group, primarily focused on short periodic surveys conducted by Gen Re.
- Contribute to the division’s focus on innovation through idea sharing.
- Continuously pursue professional development. Keep abreast of changes in medical advances, attend medical and non-medical Q&A sessions provided by Gen Re medical staff, and actively participate in training seminars held in-house as well as outside courses designated by Manager.
- Internal/External Contributions: Participate in committees and/or complete projects as needed. Support other areas of the company as needed.
- 5+ years of Medicare Supplement underwriting is required, either with a direct-writing insurance company or with a third-party administrator. Expert in Medicare Supplement underwriting principles and practices.
- Critical illness, Disability Income, Life underwriting experience would be a plus.
- Strong knowledge of the Medicare program, and the Medicare Supplement industry specifically.
- Experience with state-specific laws and regulations which govern Medicare Supplement sales, applications and underwriting.
- Proven project management and communication skills.
- College degree preferred.
- FALU or FLMI and/or other industry course work will be considered a sign of industry commitment and professional development, and a favorable consideration in the hiring process.
- Make recommendations and decisions that consider the client, the product, pricing, prior experience, and our business goals.
- Strong client facing skills - ability to interact with clients effectively to positively influence future opportunities.