General Re, a leading global reinsurer and a member of the Berkshire Hathaway Inc., family of companies, has an opportunity in its General Star Management Company subsidiary. General Star underwrites specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGA’s) in the U.S.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Underwriter in our office located in Stamford, CT.
The ideal candidate will analyze, underwrite and manage a delegated book of Property and Casualty Risks written through a group of select MGAs for the Contract P&C Unit. The candidate will manage the overall relationship with the appointed MGAs, will be responsible for program changes and the training on new and existing products.
- Establish and maintain a disciplined underwriting and client management approach with the ultimate objective of writing business to an expected underwriting profit.
- Evaluate and audit a book of business produced by select MGAs in accordance with established underwriting guidelines. Monitor the quality of risks, the pricing and the trends associated with the book.
- Handle submissions that consist mostly of referrals from MGA underwriters as required by underwriting guidelines. Quote larger and more complex accounts when needed.
- Develop effective personal business relationships with both existing and new clients either through daily interaction and periodic travel to client locations and industry events. The position requires approximately 20% travel.
- Participate in various special projects and in product development.
- 3 + years of underwriting experience in commercial lines.
- Undergraduate college degree.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong/polished interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Natural aptitude for teamwork/Initiative.
- Critical thinking and organizational ability.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Lotus Notes.
- Strong analytical skills.