General Re, a leading global reinsurer and a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, has an opportunity in its General Star Management Company subsidiary.
General Star underwrites excess, surplus specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance on an admitted and non admitted basis through wholesale brokers.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for an Underwriter in our corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT.
The ideal candidate will analyze, underwrite and manage a delegated book of Property and Casualty Risks written through a group of select MGAs for the Contract P&C Unit. The candidate will manage the overall relationship with the appointed MGAs, will be responsible for program changes and the training on new and existing products.
- Establish and maintain a disciplined underwriting and client management approach with the ultimate objective of writing business to an expected underwriting profit.
- Evaluate and audit a book of business produced by select MGAs in accordance with established underwriting guidelines. Monitor the quality of risks, the pricing and the trends associated with the book.
- Handle submissions that consist mostly of referrals from MGA underwriters as required by underwriting guidelines. Quote larger and more complex accounts when needed.
- Develop effective personal business relationships with both existing and new clients either through daily interaction and periodic travel to client locations and industry events. The position requires approximately 20% travel.
- Participate in various special projects and in product development.
- Three plus years of underwriting experience in commercial lines.
- Construction/contractors liability experience desirable.
- Undergraduate college degree.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong / polished interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Natural aptitude for teamwork / Initiative.
- Critical thinking and organizational ability.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Lotus Notes.
- Strong analytical skills.