Vice President, Individual Health Actuary
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 1,900 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Vice President, Individual Health Actuary. This position can be located in either Stamford, CT or Portland, ME.
This position is responsible for product risk management, reinsurance pricing, valuation, in force management and related actuarial services for all Individual Health business. Individual Health for GRL encompasses Individual Disability, Critical Illness and Long Term Care. This position will report to the Chief Actuary.
- Pricing and valuation for all Individual Health business.
- Adhering to and enhancing the risk management and pricing policies and procedures for all Individual Health business.
- Monitoring the profitability of all Individual Health business through a formal review process, using appropriate reports and tools to analyze trends and results.
- Understanding all the dynamics which impact on the profitability of the business and ensure that problems are discovered early.
- Lead and manage a small actuarial team by providing direction, training and support to ensure they experience professional growth and have good career paths at Gen Re Life.
- Partner with the Gen Re Life Actuarial Management Team to develop and implement various strategies to profitably grow our business.
- Maintain visibility in the market by meeting with clients and prospects, participating at industry meetings and by joining pertinent industry committees.
- FSA with a minimum of 10 years’ experience.
- Prior actuarial experience in pricing or valuation of Individual Disability preferred.
- Strong technology skills.
- Experience with using actuarial software, AXIS or ALFA, preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior management.