Senior Referral Underwriter – GenStar
Shape Your Future With Us
General Star is a premier specialty and surplus lines provider, underwriting specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGAs) in the U.S. General Star is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. General Re Corporation is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
General Star currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Senior Referral Underwriter reporting in to the Chief Underwriting Officer. The position may work full time in Stamford, CT, or divide time betwenn a home-based office and our Stamford office.
The Senior Referral Underwriter is responsible for a broad spectrum of technical underwriting, pricing and coverage issues for P&C insurance and reinsurance in the home office reporting directly to the Chief Underwriting Officer. The Senior Referral Underwriter supports the underwriters of GenStar in producing a risk-adjusted underwriting profit for a variety of Casualty lines and products. Assignments are for both individual account referrals and leading the technical underwriting of portfolios in lines of business.
The job requires strong casualty underwriting experience across small, midsized and large risks for specialty insurance, surplus lines, programs and reinsurance. The priority is commercial lines liability – primary casualty, excess liability, umbrella, professional liability, specialty lines, contractor liability, public entity liability, self-insurers and assumed reinsurance. Although not required, may include personal lines, commercial property or other first party coverage.
The Senior Referral Underwriter brings strong leadership in cross-functional teams ensuring high-quality underwriting, adequate pricing, innovative product development, sensible business processes and regulatory compliance. In addition, they efficiently handle referrals from underwriters for large, unusual and complex risks or programs, including primary and excess insurance, program business, exposure rating, loss rating, aggregate risks, unique coverages, reinsurance structures and adjustable features. They also provide mentoring, training and skill building to underwriters. Finally, the Senior Referral Underwriter fosters collaborative relationships with associates in the Underwriting Services Division, Division Managers, Chief Underwriting Officer, Chief Actuary, Chief Marketing Officer and other associates, including those in the Gen Re Group.
- Referral Underwriter: Accountable for effectively and quickly completing referrals from branch underwriters who request authority to quote individual risks or programs. Senior technician for risk analysis, pricing methods and deal structuring.
- Underwriting Audits: Leads or participates on underwriting audits for assigned LOBs. Includes on-site wrap-up meetings in the branch offices and writing the formal reports for the Division Manager, CUO and CEO.
- Underwriting Guides: Establish the content and maintain relevant documentation of the underwriting standards and guidelines. Also includes researching emerging issues and making appropriate and timely underwriting responses.
- Rate Adequacy: Collaborate with the pricing actuaries on annual rate studies for assigned LOBs. Includes shared responsibility analyzing the data and selecting rate levels that meet the underwriting profit goals for the LOB.
- Line of Business Specialist: Leader and recognized expert of one or more LOBs or specialties written by GenStar
- Product Development: Participate and sometime lead product development with the underwriting divisions.
- Mentor underwriters at all levels of experience.
- Continually develop specialized knowledge of P&C lines of business to identify underwriting solutions that meet the business needs.
- Keep current on insurance policy wording developments, ISO’s research, emerging issues and competitors’ forms to communicate to underwriters and senior management the importance and impact of proposed wording changes.
- Develop and implement admitted state filings with the underwriting divisions and regulatory unit.
- Collaborate with other Underwriters, Actuaries, Insurance Policy Analysts, Reinsurance Contracts Specialists, Claims, Regulatory Specialists and Legal to improve guidelines, coverage, pricing or attractiveness of products.
- Prioritize, organize and optimize workloads to promote cost-effective delivery and support for the business.
- Set challenging goals and work to meet them.
- Effectively manage time and meet deadlines.
- College degree required. CPCU designation preferred.
- Sustained track record in casualty underwriting with at least five years of senior underwriting experience.
- Extensive knowledge of surplus lines and admitted insurance standards, practices and principles.
- Strong knowledge of optimizing underwriting profits though sound underwriting practices in liability lines of business.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with colleagues within and across departments.
- Excellent technology skills, including Outlook, Word, Adobe and Excel.