General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re Life currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Claims Executive in our Portland, ME office.
The Claim Executive is responsible for the delivery of the reinsurance claim risk management on across all products to both internal and external Gen Re clients as well as supports staff managing singular lines of business. This includes, but is not limited to, the risk assessment of reinsurance liability, client training development and delivery, audit activities as well as representing the company and/or speaking at various industry conferences.
- Responsible for the timely decision making and accuracy of reinsurance determinations on multiple lines of claim submissions. Incumbent contributes to the accurate and efficient adjudication of claims by supporting the department and client’s investigation or coaching/mentoring on claims in all ranges of complexity to ensure compliance with policy provisions, state/federal regulations and reinsurance treaties in effect.
- Maintains a working knowledge of state and federal regulatory issues (e.g. State specific and SSDI updates) and keeps on the cutting edge of changes within the industry crossing multiple product lines.
- Participates in client / TPA due diligence activities such as conducting audits, identifying emerging trends and themes not only in the client’s inventory but within the industry; sharing industry gleaned best practices via building and delivering customer specific training programs and seminars; emphasizing and implementing technical solutions to business needs to achieve desired improvements.
- Delivers high levels of customer service to internal and external customers in a professional, reliable and responsive manner.
- The incumbent works with claims management to develop, prioritize and execute a claim management strategy for each assigned client.
- Responsible for influencing a variety of constituents at various levels internally and externally. Thus being accountable for the effective development, ongoing maintenance and consistent application of client communications and relationships.
- As an expert claim resource across multiple products, the Claim Executive monitors national verdict/settlement trends and legal developments pertaining to the industry. The incumbent researches, drafts and publishes articles and training oriented to educating clients on best practices gleaned.
- Responds to ad hoc reporting /projects from manager – timely and accurate reporting of statistical information to management. Provides a broad range of regular (monthly/quarterly) management information in support of the Claims Department. Responsible for synthesizing a large amount of information from a variety of sources.
- Participating in meetings with prospective accounts.
- Use of market expertise to contribute to claim related innovation projects.
- Prior claims experience in insurance and/or reinsurance operations
- Prior experience managing claims thereby equipping the incumbent with the ability to assess reinsurer responsibility in its broadest sense (e.g. reviewing and offering risk management insights and recommendations on facultative and consultative claim submissions)
- Prior audit experience. Reinsured audit activity may involve setting the audit scope, implementing the audit itself as well as communicating results to an array of constituents in various areas such as claims, finance, legal, or actuarial/reinsurance
- Prior experience emphasizing and implementing solutions to help clients manage risk and develop in-depth knowledge
- Strong working knowledge of multiple coverage lines (Individual Disability, Group Disability, Individual Life, Group Life, Long Term Care, Critical Illness, Medicare Supplement)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and deal effectively with multiple tasks
- Strong team player and member of a team
- Proven critical thinking skills that demonstrate analysis/judgment and sound decision making with focus on attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel for business purposes
- Strong client relationship, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Proven initiative, prioritization, presentation and training abilities
- Ability to self-motivate and complete projects in a timely fashion
- Deliver “value added” service to companies that enable them to improve their technical expertise and operational performance
- Experience with and proficiency in Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access, Imaging, scanning, developing and running queries
- Preferred insurance adjuster’s license or a willingness to secure same within 1 year of hire