Treaty Underwriter North America Regional & Specialty Practice
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Treaty Underwriter in our Regional & Specialty Treaty unit located in our Stamford, CT office. A flexible work arrangement will be considered.
The Treaty Underwriter’s primary responsibility is to assess, underwrite, price and structure new and renewal treaty business consistent with General Re’s risk appetite and profit margin expectations. This work may be done exclusively by the underwriter or in conjunction with a client team structure. On-the-job training is anticipated. This role will be primarily focused on treaties with property exposure.
- Technical underwriting capabilities handling commercial and personal lines of business. Strong property background is required. Technical capabilities include:
- The ability to assess and analyze exposure to loss
- Primary insurance policy form knowledge
- Understanding of primary insurance rate making
- Reinsurance knowledge encompassing either:
- Treaty reinsurance background or
- Facultative underwriting handling more complex risks or programs
- Understanding of treaty pricing tools and concepts
- Insurance company financial statement knowledge and how financials relate to reinsurance purchasing decision
Marketing and Business Development
- Understanding of insurance marketplace and company reinsurance buying motivations
- Participation in opportunity generations and pre-qualification process
- Works with client teams to build business opportunities, explain reinsurance structures and pricing, and articulate value of General Re in buying decisions
Operational and Leadership
- Effectively communicate positions, look at alternatives and work through issues while maintaining underwriting discipline
- Proactively work to anticipate and solve issues that hinder a successful business outcome
- Comfortable making suggestions that build business and/or improve processes
- 10+ years underwriting experience in insurance/reinsurance industry with strong property background
- Reinsurance contract knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within differing team structures
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and effectively under time constraints
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong math/analytical skills. Actuarial background plus
- Self-starter and ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, e.g. Excel
- Some travel required
Does this sound exciting?
If you want to shape your future with us, please send your resume to Linda Dalesio in Human Resources: email@example.com